* The Marvelous
4:4 “Around the throne were twenty-four thrones and upon the thrones I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white garments, and golden crowns on their heads.”
1. Thrones represent a very high position. These thrones happen to encircle the Throne of God the Most High. Not just anybody is given this seat in heaven! These thrones are given to those that OVERCOME! Those that follow Jesus until the end!
- Revelation 3:21 “’He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.”
- Ephesians 2:4-6 “But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus”
Everything that goes out from the One on the throne in heaven is witnessed by those seated in the surrounding thrones.
2. Twenty-four elders sitting are seen as representing the redeemed from the Old and New Testament being priests and ministers of the Lord in the Holy of Holies.
- Matthew 19:28 “And Jesus said to them, “Truly I say to you, that you who have followed Me, in the regeneration when the Son of Man will sit on His glorious throne, you also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.”
- Isaiah 61:6 “But you will be called the priests of the LORD; You will be spoken of as ministers of our God.”
In the Old Testament it was only the consecrated priests that could go in and minister before the LORD. But now because the blood of the Lamb at the end of the age ALL of the redeemed will be before the Throne of GOD in the HOLY of HOLIES ministering to Him. Even now we have the grace to draw near to His throne.
- Hebrew 4:16 “Let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
In fact we should all be doing as John did as read previously in Rev 4:1-2 going through the “Open door”. It is His grace and mercy that allows us to be seated around Him and to approach Him boldly, even today.
3. The #24, “It is the number associated with the heavenly government and worship, of which the earthly form in Israel was only a copy.” http://www.biblestudy.org/bibleref/meaning-of-numbers-in-bible/21.html .
4. Clothed in white garments shows the unashamed purity while sitting before the Living God.
Again these garments are given to the OVERCOMERS!
- Revelation 3:5 “He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments.”
I am curious as to why it says garments and not robes? Garment seems more like a plain article of clothing that Jesus/disciples/commoners wore in Bible times. I know it is pure white, but it doesn’t seem like a fancy decorated piece of clothing. The LORD made garments of skin for Adam and Eve in Eden after they sinned.
Garment: Greek, himation Hebrew, kĕthoneth (Rev 4:4, elders)
1) a garment (of any sort)
a) garments, i.e. the cloak or mantle and the tunic
2) the upper garment, the cloak or mantle
Robe: Greek, stolē Hebrew, m@`iyl (Rev 7:9, great multitude)
1) an equipment
2) an equipment in clothes, clothing
a) spec. a loose outer garment for men extending to the feet, worn by kings, priests, and persons of rank
Isaiah uses both in the same sentence,
- Isaiah 61:10 “For He has clothed me with garments of salvation, He has wrapped me with a robe of righteousness”
5. Golden crowns on their heads, means that they are distinguished and respected as “lords” (Rev 8:14) or priests as seen in the OT. Expresses royalty and honor
- Exodus 39:30 “They made the plate of the holy crown of pure gold, and inscribed it like the engravings of a signet, “Holy to the LORD.”
We too are promised crowns!
- Revelation 2:10 “Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.”
- James 1:12 “Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.”
- 1 Peter 5:4 “And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.”
- 2 Timothy 4:8 “In the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.”
- Psalms 21:3 “For You meet him with the blessings of good things; You set a crown of fine gold on his head.”
Was it finished at the Cross, YES! But as He was called to overcome, He is calling us to overcome! Let us cling to the Cross but let us fix our gaze on the beauty of the Lord and draw even closer to Him. Let us walk in these promises and not be found complacent in His grace. Remember we are more than conquerors because of the love that He poured out for us and nothing shall separate us from His love.
- Rom 8:37 “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.”
Was it enough, YES! But He wants to co-labor with us today until His glorious return. We cannot be content with yesterday’s faith for we are called to fight the good fight of faith until His appearing.
- 1 Timothy 6:12-14 “Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who testified the good confession before Pontius Pilate, that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?
Continued: Beauty Realm 4:5