This subject of righteousness is enormous in its entirety and would take some time to break it down to reveal the many aspects that it beholds. I just wanted to highlight a good starting point, along with some encouraging scriptures that give insight to the rewards to those that walk in righteousness.
It was Jesus that said, “Seek first the kingdom of God and His RIGHTEOUSNESS (Matt 6:33).” There are some other similar passages from the Bible like, “Seek the LORD” and “Seek righteousness (Zeph 2:3)” and, “Listen to Me, you who follow after righteousness, you who seek the LORD (Isa 51:1).”
The kingdom of God and righteousness go hand in hand; you cannot seek His kingdom without getting righteousness! Not only is it mind-blowing to seek this all out, but most of all, He loves those who pursue righteousness (Prov. 15:9)!
Here is a short list of descriptions that are typically associated with an earthly kingdom but are mere reflections of the reign of Jesus’ Kingdom, as you will see by the related Scriptures (These descriptions are another study within themselves, I did my best to stay on subject 🙂
• KING; the male ruler of an independent state, esp. one who inherits the position by right of birth: This goes without saying. Jesus is referred to as the Lord of lords and King of kings throughout the Bible. The Father installs His Son, Jesus Christ the righteous, as King upon His holy mountain while giving the nations over to Him as His inheritance (Psa. 2:6-8).
As far as being a righteous King it states in Hebrews that Jesus is directly linked to the mysterious “order of Melchizedek” which translates “my king of righteousness”. The prophecy from Jeremiah clearly affirms the coming of our Righteous King, “Behold, the days are coming,” says the LORD, “That I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness; A King shall reign and prosper, and execute judgment and righteousness in the earth (Jer. 23:5).”
• THRONE; used to signify sovereign power: “Righteousness is the foundation of His throne (Psa. 89:14, 97:2).” (Prov. 16:12)
• CROWN; a symbol of authority: “Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing (2Tim. 4:8).”
I believe that Jesus is wearing a crown of righteousness too as we are called to co-reign with Him.
• SCEPTER; a symbol of sovereignty: “A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. (Psa. 45:6)”
• COMMANDMENTS/LAW; an authoritative order: “For all Your commandments are righteousness (Psa. 119:172.).” (Deut. 4:8, Rom. 7:12)
• ARMY; an extension of the king’s rule in the land by way of soldiers: “There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will accomplish this (Is. 9:7).”
He will use His host of heaven to help with this but most of all He will use His men and women on earth to bring forth His righteos purposes on earth as it is in heaven.
• KINGDOM; a country, state, or territory ruled by a king: “The kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (Rom. 14:17).”
Every earthly kingdom has or will pass away, but the kingdom of God and His righteousness is everlasting (Psa. 111:3, Psa. 112:3, Psa. 112:9, Psa. 119:142, Is. 51:6, Is. 51:8, 2Cor. 9:9). Misty Edwards has a song called Servant Of All (Relentless CD) and there is a hook that says, “It’s the inside outside upside down kingdom, where you lose to gain and die to live.” This Kingdom has a King that made a way for ALL to freely enter into this righteousness (1Pet. 2:24) and He simply wants to have a real relationship with us today so that we may enter into His Kingdom.
Here is a great section from Psalms that states what a righteous DOES NOT DO:
2. Do evil to his neighbor
3. Take up a reproach against his friend;
4. Put out his money at interest
5. Take a bribe against the innocent.
There is also an abundance of promises and rewards that are given to the righteous, as shared through out the Bible.
“Awards will be given at the resurrection of the righteous.” Luke 14:14
On of the biggest rewards is eternity! Matt. 25:46
The righteous will inherit the land, And dwell in it forever. Psa. 37:29 Is. 60:21
The horns of the righteous will be lifted up. Psa. 75:10
The righteous man will flourish like the palm tree Psa. 92:12
He will grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Psa. 92:12
Blessed are those who practice righteousness at all times! Psa. 106:3
The righteous will be remembered forever. Psa. 112:6
Life, righteousness and honor. Prov. 21:21 Prov. 12:28 Prov. 11:19
They have a refuge when they die. Prov. 14:32
They are rewarded with prosperity. Prov. 13:21
Will escape trouble. Prov. 12:13 Prov. 11:8
Their house will stand. Prov. 12:7
Their root will not be moved Prov. 12:3
They will be rewarded in the earth. Prov. 11:31
They will flourish like a green leaf. Prov. 11:28
Their descendants will be delivered. Prov. 11:21
They will never be shaken. Prov. 10:30
They have an everlasting foundation. Prov. 10:25
Their desires will be granted. Prov. 10:24
Their memory is blessed. Prov. 10:7
Their wages are life. Prov. 10:16
Their head will be blessed Prov. 10:6
They will be delivered from death. Prov. 11:4 Prov. 10:2
They are taken away from evil. Is. 57:1
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Matt. 5:6
“Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matt. 13:43
Thank you for reading hope you enjoyed it!
Next post from this study will be on JUSTICE.